Tuesday 8 July 2014

Where to, and why?


Stick a pin in the map of Great Britain and you'll probably hit an interesting spot. So how to decide which of these places to visit? There's an assumption amongst some of my buddies that I'll be filling my days looking at gardens. My question to them is: does a school teacher want to visit schools when she's on holiday? Does an engineer want to peer at the support structure of every bridge he sees? Does an architect want to spend her free time looking at buildings? No, all these people pick out the best of the best: the school that is innovative and high-achieving, the ancient bridge that stands true and solid, the building that makes the heart sing just to look at it. And so it is for me with gardens, I only want to see the best.

So if not gardens, then what? When it comes right down to it I guess I'd have to say it's books. I don't mean that I'm flying all the way to England to spend my time in bookshops, pleasant as that may be. What I mean is the places I know from books. Not just grown-up's books but children's books. Having to grow up is one of life's great tragedies but fortunately you can keep the essence of childhood in your heart if you try hard enough. How lovely it would be to be ten years old forever.

But, London is not for children. Children belong in the countryside and the seaside; so, for the first nine days, I'll have to pretend to be a grown-up. Stay tuned to find out what the grown-up me is up to in London between the 11th and the 19th of July.

There follows a week in the city of Matthew Arnold's 'dreaming spires', Hardy's 'Christminster' and Colin Dexter's 'Morse': the inspiring city of Oxford. It's also the city of 'Alice' who sat by the river one lazy summer's afternoon and spied a white rabbit.

While in Oxford, I'll be participating in a week-long summer school at Christ Church, the last word in Oxford colleges. Myself and five other not-quite-grownups will spend the week seeking the real 'Alice', daughter of the Dean of Christ Church, and Lewis Carroll—who imagined 'Alice in Wonderland' and put it all in a book.

Next stop, West Sussex where I'll be looking for the Devil's Punchbowl, setting for Monica Edwards' engaging children's books about the family of Punchbowl Farm. While I'm down south I can slip over to Kent to re-visit the wonderful garden at Sissinghurst Castle, and venture into Surrey to find 'Merry Hall', one-time home of author and man-about-town, Beverley Nichols, who's whimsical books about his gardens make one want to rush out and plant a tree.

And then north to Lincolnshire. Why Lincolnshire? Because I haven't been there. During the week I plan to visit the fabulous Lincoln Cathedral, and do some cycling in the fen country.

Heading west from Lincolnshire I'll arrive in Macclesfield, Cheshire, for the 2 ½ week house sit. Annie the dog, Fennel the cat and three chooks (un-named?) will be putting their health and wellbeing in my hands. Best of luck guys. Macclesfield is just a stones-throw from the delights of the Peak District National Park and from the Duke of Devonshire's impressive pile: Chatsworth House.

With just five days left I'll spend four of them in Reedham and surrounds on the River Yare, where Arthur Ransome's young sailors had a close shave at the railway bridge in 'Coot Club'.

And so eight weeks will have flown by and a train from Cambridge will whisk me back to London for a last day in the capital. Then it's goodbye Piccadilly, farewell Leicester Square …





No comments:

Post a Comment